Sunday, June 13, 2010

The hardest day

I put in, mile for mile, the hardest ride of my life today. The ride ranged from graded fire roads to technical XC while I was on a cross bike with 700x30 slicks and 34/34 easy gear. The 17 miles to Tam was over three ridges (Rodeo, Tennessee Valley and Muir) which lead to the final 7 miles of climbing up to Tam. I spent 2.5 miles on flat paved rode during that time and all the rest was uphill or downhill. All in all there was about 5500 feet of climbing.

Have to drop down into the valley then ride to the top where those antenna are

Riding up towards the antenna, I had been climbing for about 15 minutes at that point and didn't reach the top for another 25 or so, the road was very well kept in this section but had some 15% grades

Headed down from the antennas and looking down into Tennessee Valley at the next climb

I really should just go to the beach and quit doing this

Climbing out of TV on the Coastal Trail. The pitch at the end was one of three or four that was 20% or steeper. I cleaned all but one of them.

Looking back towards Rodeo after beginning to climb out of TV.

The Gunnar Crosshairs in all her 34lbs of glory

Muir Beach in the distance

The descent begins

Made it safe down the steepest worst part that would have been tough on my FS 29er only to fall shortly after this photo was taken

The white dot on the top of the furthest ridge is my goal

On that furthest ridge looking back

From there it was an easy 4 mile climb up to the top of Tam by way of Old Railroad Grade and then a downhill blast back home on paved roads.

I was greeted with some of the best fog I've ever seen, it was rolling in only at Baker Beach with the winds blowing 35+mph.

No comments:

Post a Comment