Thursday, July 15, 2010

Delays delays

I haven't updated this in awhile despite my best intentions. I finished June my strongest month ever on a bike, 650+ miles and 60,000+ feet of climbing. It's pretty amazing to me how quickly my distance riding skills have progressed since moving here. Damn near every day I am motivated to be out on the bike and exploring, it's great. The highlights of June were:
1. Riding Monitor and Luther Pass in Tahoe, they were gorgeous and hard. Seeing snow on the ground in mid-June was a bit of a shock to the senses. I am very seriously considering trying to complete Alta Alpina next June but we shall see how the year progresses
2. Climbing West Alpine starting at mile 97. I really and truly didn't think I could make it in any reasonable fashion at the bottom but once going I knew it was doable. I even had a chance to tow Zach a bit which never happens as he is a much much stronger rider on almost any given day.
3. The whole mixed terrain ride

I realized yesterday that the Moss Beach 200k, hosted by Santa Cruz Randonneurs, is in 9 days. I haven't ridden beyond a couple short 30 mile rides thus far this month so I panicked a bit then realized I can do it if I spend some time on the bike between now and then. To prepare I'm going to ride the SF Randonneurs Point Reyes Populaire 115k this weekend with some friends. I hope to extend the ride to at least a century to really test out my bike fit as I haven't ridden the Gunnar more than 70 miles in a day and it fits drastically different than the Merckx.

No comments:

Post a Comment